Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Technical Difficulties

So sorry to those of you who have been waiting for my next crafting adventure! When I came up with the idea for this one, I thought to myself, "That will be so easy!" Yeah, best laid plans and all of that. And, so I gathered up my materials, assembled all the parts, and prepared to attach it to the desired location. This is a project for the kitchen, so I marched proudly into the kitchen and over to the location to smack it on there...only to find the location was not magnetic...and I had made a magnet. Sigh. Velcro to the rescue! Here's where I tell you the super secret location - it's the dishwasher. What do dishwashers do? They wash dishes, right? At VERY HIGH temperatures, right? And then what? Oh, they dry them! At VERY HIGH temperatures, too! Melted Velcro glue equals not sticking. It is at this point that I think about giving up. But then I realized how darn cute this thing was and knew it had to serve its purpose. So, I went shopping and came home with the world's strongest glue, guaranteed in the most extreme temperatures, of course. Ta da! So far, so good. Take a look.

Cute, right ? So simple, even I figured it out...eventually. Just take an old CD (or a really bad one you are embarrassed you even own), jazz it up with some scraps and lettering, maybe a cute little ribbon like moi. Run a layer or two of decoupage glue over the whole thing and let it dry. I also gave mine a light spray of acrylic sealer. However, before doing anything to the backside, please check that your dishwasher is in fact magnetic. It will save you a lot of trouble. And if not, I highly recommend Elmer's Stix All.
So then I have this project all finished up, photos taken, ready to post and the storm of the century comes along and knocks out our Internet for many, many long hours. Thankfully, the hardworking men and women of Time Warner Cable were on it, and we were back up and running by mid-afternoon! Whew!

Side note : Some have asked about my other goals, and most are coming along swimmingly. They just aren't has fun to post about! Here's a quick rundown: I have lost 6 pounds, gained a ton of energy already, started two service projects which you can read about in prior postings, got Adam to say he would go shopping for living room furniture with me, have cleaned out one LARGE box in the garage, have all the materials ready to go for organizing my classroom library, have cooked recipes from two cookbooks which you can also read about...it's been a busy month!

No comments:

Post a Comment