Monday, June 27, 2011

Super Easy Really Means Super Easy

One of my 12 goals is to cook at least one recipe from each of my cookbooks. It should be made clear now that I love cookbooks. I seldom walk into a book store without purchasing one. I love going through the pages and picking out all the recipes I'm going to try by marking them with little Post-it tags. Sometimes I actually follow through, but most often my little tags get forgotten and dusty on the bookshelf in the dining room. So, all of that said I have at least 40 or 50 books to work my way through in the next year.
My favorite book shopping haunt is Half Price books. Just last week I picked up Betty Crocker's Money Saving Meals. (I'm all about frugality these days. Just ask Adam about my excitement over Price Chopper sales.) The first eye-catching recipe was called Super Easy Chicken Manicotti. It was eye-catching for several reasons. Number one being that Adam likes everything in it. Those who know Adam know he has very specific food tastes. I stop short of saying he's picky - but only because he doesn't like it when I say that. Number two being that I had everything needed for the recipe already in my pantry minus the manicotti noodles. I didn't worry about this because I knew Price Chopper had ridiculously cheap sales on pasta that week. (See comment about my Price Chopper sale enthusiasm) Number three, it really did sound super easy. However I have also been fooled by the likes of Rachael Ray and her so-called 30 Minute Meals. They should be called 30 Minutes of Prep Work Meals, $30 Special Ingredient Meals, or I'll Be 30 Years Older by the Time I'm Done with This Meals...but I'm not bitter. In fact, I still love Rachael. But that's for another day and I digress. I followed the super easy directions and what happened was just short of miraculous. This is a dish I liked AND that Adam liked. It was inexpensive, and it was truly SUPER EASY! Best of all, it's pretty healthy, which helps with goal #1! Here's the recipe if anyone wants to give it a go.
Super Easy Chicken Manicotti

No comments:

Post a Comment