Wednesday, June 22, 2011

And So It Begins

Not too many days ago, I came to the realization that I (me, myself, I!) am the only one that can change what I don't like in my life. It only took 32 years (and 4 months, and 5 days, but who's counting?) for this realization to play out in my head. I feel many never fully come to understand this, so I feel thrilled with the opportunity to give change a shot. After reading an article in a local publication about a woman who created an age 30 "bucket" list, I decided this is how I could begin to make the changes I need in my life. Like her, I've decided to lay out a one year plan. I've determined 12 things I would like to do to better myself in the next 365 days. Some of these goals are lofty, and others are so simple I have already begun to complete them. Some are fun, some are work. Some are free, some are expensive. No matter the cost or the effort, I owe it to myself to try. My plan is to update the world on my progress through this blog. I'm viewing this blog as my teacher to whom I am accountable for turning this "homework" - and the readers of it I hope will be my cheerleaders to finish my largest homework assignment ever in just one year.

12 By 2012 Bucket List
1. Lose 100 pounds 
2. Participate in a 5K race 
3. Categorize my classroom library by genre/author
4. Clean out all boxes stored in the garage and around the house
5. Make at least one recipe from each of the cookbooks in my large collection
6. Complete a volunteer/service project at least once a month
7. Take a vacation to somewhere I've never been just for fun
8. Purchase new living room furniture
9. Join the National Marrow Donor Registry
10. Buy our first house
11. Complete at least one crafting/sewing project each month
12. Maintain and regularly update a blog about these goals and accomplishments

2 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you as you begin this courageous and inspiring adventure. Sharing it with those of us who love and care about you will only add to the strength and resolve you already have. Go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a fantastic thing for anyone. You most certainly can do this list and more!!
    Look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete